1. Let them be themselves. If you are photographing your own children, let them run and play. Make everything a game. Do not scold them or try to get them to behave in a completely different way. Believe me, I've done it and it never works. If you are at your photo session and your children are being a little wild and silly, relax!! Your photographer has seen it all before and would much rather have you just laugh and play with your kids rather than stressing out.
2. Capture their true personalities. This little man was pretty serious and when he wanted to be done with pictures, I stopped snapping and we moved on to a new location and activity. If your child is carefree or careful, get those pictures. This will be what you want to remember 20 years down the road.
3. Get the details. Are your kids stockpiling rocks or searching for bugs? Are their little fingers and toes sandy? Does grandma give them kisses and leave lipstick marks on their little cheeks. Take a picture of that! Children change their interests and grow up so fast and these little moments are what you will forget if you don't get a photograph.
4. Let them get dirty. So what if they ran into the water? Who cares if they're playing in the sand. It all washes off if the end. Your child will 100% LOVE pictures if you let them get dirty.
5. Finally remember that real life is dirty and messy and FUN! Its not perfect and posed. So get down with them, search for bugs, splash in the water, tickle them and play games. Don't worry about sandy, wet clothes. What's the worst that can happen? You'll have to take a shower when you get home. You know you're going to do that already so create amazing memories by enjoying your session. Be a kid too and then you'll see true magic happen.